Saturday, July 18, 2009

Monkey Bread

This one is for Froggy. She requested that I post it, which I was going to do later on. But since she likes it so much, I decided to move it to the top of the list.

Monkey Bread

2 - 4 cans biscuits, any variety (small biscuits work best)
1 1/2 cups melted butter (I sometimes use the low fat butter substitute)
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts) This is optional, you can skip the nuts if you don't like them
White sugar and additional cinnamon to toss the biscuits in
Cut the biscuits into small pieces, at least 4 piece per biscuit. I usually cut mine up into about 6 pieces each. Toss the pieces in the white sugar/cinnamon mix until they are coated. Place biscuits in a greased pan (I use an olive oil based non-stick spray - it doesn't take much). Combine the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnanom - I melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the sugar & cinnamon, then stir it over low to medium heat unti is mixed well and smoother. Then add the chopped nuts. Pour over the biscuit pieces. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes - the time may need to be adjusted up or down depending on your oven. The important thing is to get the biscuits baked because half-cooked biscuits are gross! For the regular recipe (2 cans of biscuits) I use a square baking pan and if I double it (4 cans), I use a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish. The original recipe called for a bundt-style cake pan to bake it in and then inverting over a plate to serve. I suggest you just use a baking dish, otherwise you will have a big, sticky mess on your hands. And the floor! The brown sugar mixture makes a syrup and it is very good. However, if you use real butter forget about watching your fat intake. Even with the low-fat substitute, it's probably not the most healthy meal so we don't make it too often. It's been suggested to me that we top it with whipped cream, which would probably be delicious. But I haven't tried that.

No comments:

Post a Comment